Poisonous Palm Seeds, Beware of this Deadly Little Berry!

Hugo

Hugo

I have horribly sad news to report, Hugo a dachshund rescue adopt-a-dog passed away recently because he ate a tiny palm seed from a palm tree.  He needed several surgeries and was doing better in recovery, when he suddenly went into cardiac arrest.  We are all completely heartbroken.  I met Hugo at a pet expo this year and assisted the Dachshund Rescue of South Florida with taking some photos of Hugo and posting his adoption information on DOGZAR.com.    Hugo was  a very sweet and loving little dog.

Palm Seeds

Palm Seeds in a Palm Tree

When I learned this information, I had no idea about palm seeds at all.  I have seen these little red berries on palm trees and scattered all around the ground and have walked passed them a million times before without even a thought.  We all go to such great lengths to protect our dogs from all the dangers lurking . . . frogs, toxic chemicals, toxic food, we buy life vests so when we take our dogs boating they are safe, we buy special gates to protect our dogs from falling through balconies and down stairs, we spend a fortune on vaccinations and routine veterinary exams to keep them healthy and a tiny red berry on the sidewalk can quickly end your dogs life, who knew?

My dogs are both extremely motivated by food.  We call Rocco Jet, “The Nibbler”, because all he wants to do is nibble all day.  Bruce Lee we call, “The Hoover”, because he is constantly searching the ground for particles of anything to eat.  Sometimes I think I should just put tiny muzzel’s on them to protect them  from eating things they find on the ground.  My biggest fear was that they would find someones discarded medication on the ground and eat that, now I am horrified of palm seeds.

Palm Seeds

Palm Seeds

After doing some research, if you suspect your dog has eaten a palm seed, the symptoms are vomiting, diarrhea, liver failure and seizures.  Also, your dog can react from the toxins in two different ways, suffer immediate damage in 1 to 4 days of eating the berry or the chronic damage where your dog suffers liver damage in 1 to 3 months!  The only thing you can do is to seek immediate medical treatment from your Veterinarian.

I know in my heart that Hugo is now in Heaven and running around happy and healthy.  I hope that this tragedy will help other dogs from ever suffering from ingesting these tiny red berries.  Please protect your dogs from palm seeds. When walking your dog outside, keep your dog on a leash and walk far away from these seeds.

DOGZAR wants to help keep your dog . . . SAFE, HEALTHY and HAPPY!

This entry was posted in Health & Wellness and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Poisonous Palm Seeds, Beware of this Deadly Little Berry!

1. me says:

thank you very very much for taking the trouble to help others to avoid losing a loved one. i am really grateful to you for informing me. i had no idea these berries could be a problem; i have two dogs and have been searching the net for a palm i saw that had berries. and now i know not to get one! you might have saved two lives and probably many many more by catching people like me researching palms to get.

i wish you all the best

2. joseph says:

is it also poisonous to Human

3. Catwalk803 says:

Thank you for this post and especially the pictures. My dog has been sick for the last 1.5 wks (not deathly ill, but definitely something wrong). Vomiting, loose bowels and in general just not herself. She also has been drinking a lot more water than usual. I saw “whole” berries in her stool two days days ago and also when she vomited yesterday. I searched my property in hopes of finding what she was noshing on. We live on the coast and there are palm trees all over the yard. The berries match you pictures and also what I found in her stools. I’m praying that the damage is not serious since I’m finding the berries in tact. I will make an appt with vet.

Your pictures helped me identify the berries. There are so many variations of palm trees and the pictures I found in research yesterday didn’t match what was in my yard. Then I found your link!

I am very sorry for your loss – I cannot imagine losing my lab because of something they ate. God Bless you and thank you for your post.

4. Carla says:

Hi
    Very sad to hear about your pup! When you say your two dogs are both extremely motivated by food, yes i understand, almost all dogs are. If you want them to stop acting like a “hoover” or a “nibbler” you can train your dogs to learn that this behavior is not acceptable, we did it with our “hoover” as it was becoming dangerous for his health, he was even eating bugs and had a dangerous swelling from munching wasps!! Within 1 month of never ever accepting “hoover” or a “nibbler” attitudes your dogs will stop! Yay! But you have to be rigorous and constantly keep an eye out for a while, but then the behavior should occur less and then its not so much hard work. Good thing is you won’t need to worry about them eating what they should eat only what you give them.

Hope this helps in future.

5. Mark says:

My dog almost passed away last week and I found these berries in her vomit. I took her to the er and they injected her with cerenia and that seemed to help. It took her four days to pass one of the berries. I’m getting a muzzle for her when we walk. Thank u so much for this article

6. Derek Isakson says:

I have a 8 week old puppy. One day she threw up and started panting and drooled so much her feet were soaked…. it’s been two weeks and spent about 2k in vet bills and they can’t find out what is wrong with her. I’m willing to bet its from one of those damn palm tree berries………..

7. Rose Wilson says:

I am soooo sorry for the lost of your baby! I Lost a dog 1 month ago due to a tumor… Now I am beginning to wonder if that was the only thing!? I also have a rott named Sadie who is almost 13 years old. She has been sniffing around the side of my house in the front and I noticed these berries. This is how I came across your site. She has never ever been sick with diarrhea or vomiting and 2 weeks ago she came down with these symptoms. I took her to the vet and had her blood work done and nothing came back regarding her blood count or liver and kidneys… She will eat anything if she’s really hungry!! I have now closed off that part of the yard and I am keeping a close eye on her. Please everyone trim your trees for the sake of these wonderful dogs that we call our family!!!

8. Cynthia says:

My dog passed away on last night. About 3 days ago he stopped eating and drinking,just lying around,no energy vomiting up what looked like strawberry jam. I was taking him to the Vet that Monday morning for his shots,so that morning when I took him I went there crying, I told them that my shih Tzu puppy was sick and I didn’t know what was wrong with him. He had the symptoms of the Parvo Virus, and even the symptoms of coming in contact with Palm Tree seeds, but when the Vet did an autopsy on him he really couldn’t see where it was either one. He said that it may have been from the seeds, but bcuz he didn’t see the puppy eat any seeds it would be hard to say that was the cause.I have a Palm Tree in my front yard, but my puppy never was around it. I was or thought I was very cautious with him bcuz he was only 9wks old, he was just a baby,and if indeed he did come in contact with a seed it must have been accidentally tracked under someone’s shoe and got on the carpet,but the sad thing is that I really don’t know what killed my puppy and I blame myself, bcuz he looked for me to protect him and care for him and I didn’t.My family/friends offered to get me another puppy, but how can I get another when I don’t even know what killed my TREX. It was soooo hard for me to have to tell my 9yr old son about his death when he got home from school,but I’m glad he took it better than me.I am very,very sadden, bcuz we only had him for a month and had gotten attached to him so quickly.He was the baby of the family and I will miss him. Thanks so much for the articles I have read,it lets me know that they have a lot of families that are brokenhearted, bcuz a loved pet has passed on.

9. sarah says:

My husky mix named posey lynn. Has recently ingested these berries. Her symptoms are diarrea, excessive drooling, fatigue, the inability to open her mouth, not play full, lack of appetite,not drinking any water or anything of that nature. And very fast breathing at times and also very slow breathing at times…

10. Shami & Mark says:

Sooo sorry for your Hugo. Our pets are our babies and we would also be devestated.

But sooo many thanks for your post!! You (probably/hopefully) saved our little dog Porsche. She’s a mix with dachshund & chihuahua. Very active and always hoovering the floor.

Today we went for a walk on the beach and had a chat with some nice people … Under a palmtree…

She ate a few berries but we didn’t think much of it. A few hours later she was acting really strange and after she had some serious diarrea I surfed the internet to check if the berries were poisonous. A lot of info but with the official/latin names of the trees!!

So I was so glad to come across your post with pictures. I jumped in the car and drove to the vet with her.

She’s still not feeling ok but hope she’ll be better tomorrow.

Kind regards,