I have horribly sad news to report, Hugo our dachshund rescue adopt-a-dog passed away recently because he ate a tiny palm seed from a palm tree. He needed several surgeries and was doing better in recovery, when he suddenly went into cardiac arrest. We are all completely heartbroken. I met Hugo at a pet expo this year and assisted the Dachshund Rescue of South Florida with taking some photos of Hugo and posting his adoption information on DOGZAR.com. Hugo was a very sweet and loving little dog.
When I learned this information, I had no idea about palm seeds at all. I have seen these little red berries on palm trees and scattered all around the ground and have walked passed them a million times before without even a thought. We all go to such great lengths to protect our dogs from all the dangers lurking . . . frogs, toxic chemicals, toxic food, we buy life vests so when we take our dogs boating they are safe, we buy special gates to protect our dogs from falling through balconies and down stairs, we spend a fortune on vaccinations and routine veterinary exams to keep them healthy and a tiny red berry on the sidewalk can quickly end your dogs life, who knew?
My dogs are both extremely motivated by food. We call Rocco Jet, “The Nibbler”, because all he wants to do is nibble all day. Bruce Lee we call, “The Hoover”, because he is constantly searching the ground for particles of anything to eat. Sometimes I think I should just put tiny muzzel’s on them to protect them from eating things they find on the ground. My biggest fear was that they would find someones discarded medication on the ground and eat that, now I am horrified of palm seeds.
After doing some research, if you suspect your dog has eaten a palm seed, the symptoms are vomiting, diarrhea, liver failure and seizures. Also, your dog can react from the toxins in two different ways, suffer immediate damage in 1 to 4 days of eating the berry or the chronic damage where your dog suffers liver damage in 1 to 3 months! The only thing you can do is to seek immediate medical treatment from your Veterinarian.
I know in my heart that Hugo is now in Heaven and running around happy and healthy. I hope that this tragedy will help other dogs from ever suffering from ingesting these tiny red berries. Please protect your dogs from palm seeds. When walking your dog outside, keep your dog on a leash and walk far away from these seeds.